Welcome to The Hump! Podcast … In episode 38 of The Hump! Podcast: Drink KC … The fellas are back with some guests, Roxi Quinn and Cory Philips from the podcast Drink KC. They chat about local breweries, drinkeries, and the craft beer community. They also talk about non-local spots and favorite beers.
The Hump! Podcast Episode 38 Show Notes – Drink KC
If You Missed The First Two Seasons
Miss the first season or so of The Hump! Show?
- You can watch replays on Facebook. (You also can catch us LIVE 6 p.m. CST most Thursdays on Facebook.)
- Listen to episodes on The Hump! Podcast Archive page.
- Subscribe to us (be sure to rate us and leave us a comment, too) on your favorite Podcast platform, such as iTunes (Apple Podcasts), Google, Spotify and Stitcher.
In Ep. 38 of The Hump! Podcast, Brent & Chad along with guests Roxi and Cory chat about Breweries near and far and the craft brewing industry! What Craft Beers Are The Fellas Drinking?
- Chad and Brent are drinking another Manhattan KS beer from Tall Grass Taphouse called Wicked Awesome Bro.
- Our guests Roxi and Cory are drinking Overtone, a Hoppy Wheat from Strange Days Brewing from the River Market area of KC.
As part of our drink series, we wanted to invite some friends of the program onto the show … Roxi Quinn and Cory Phillips are the Drink KC team! Their podcast highlights Kansas City’s craft breweries … wineries … and distilleries. They talk about where they are in town … how they came to be … and the drinks they have to offer the scene. New episodes are released on Mondays.
Where are some of the best places you’ve been to visit for a beer?
- One of Roxi’s favorite places is Stockyards Brewing in the West Bottoms. She describes it as “old west cheesy” and they have great beer! Cory says Border Brewing is another favorite. They have a really good high-quality beer. The Strawberry Blonde Ale is a particular favorite from there. Another “drinkery” (meaning breweries, wineries, and distilleries) that they love is Restless Spirits. Roxi says they made her love Gin. Everyone discusses their opinion on Gin and Roxi gives some specific recommendations. Cory also mentions Crane Brewing as another favorite and specifically Monument by Crane Brewing. It is the place to go to get a sour!
- The fellas, Roxi, and Cory talk about the Tap Tour in KC. Roxi and Cory say the most breweries they hit in one day was five. Chad and Brent discuss doing a tap tour in Minneapolis and getting to 15 in three days.
- Cory says Holland, Michigan – New Holland Brewery they make Dragons Milk which he says is delicious and Brent agrees! Roxi says she hasn’t actually been to this one but has a trip planned to go back to where she grew up in Portland, Maine. She’s heard and Chad confirms that their craft beer scene has exploded in the last few years. Chad mentions Trillium in Boston and Brent says it is in his top 10!
What has you discouraged about the craft beer community?
- Roxi says it is tough for a lot of craft breweries when they go from being small and casual to getting so much bigger and having to make changes once they get to a certain size. Roxi says she thinks this is what happened to Boulevard which originally started out as just buddies grew to be much bigger than that. However, they should have been making changes while they were growing but didn’t.
- Cory discusses how they can’t stay casual when they have a legit business, they have to set a professionalism standard. Roxi says that many people they meet through this all started brewing as a hobby and weren’t planning on making it into a business until it took off. Everyone discusses how you really need to have a business side of it, it can’t just be a good product.
And This Episode’s Game of “Triple D” …
To close out The Hump! Podcast … Brent, Chad, Roxi, and Cory play a quick round of Triple D.
What’s Triple D?
They throw out a scenario … and discuss whether it’s a DICK, DOUCHE or DUMBASS move … We actually had several this week. Listen to the full episode to see which ones didn’t get chosen!
This week’s Triple D move — What do you call someone who judges someone else for what they are drinking?“
Roxi and Cory came up with a way to put them into categories. They say a dick move is one done with express malice, a douche move is done with indifference to malice, and a dumbass move is done with no intent of malice. Cory says it is a douche move and Roxi says it depends on who they said it. Listen to find out how the guys ranked it and tune in next time for part 2 of the Drink KC interview!
You Can Catch The Hump! Live
They’ll publish the replays on Facebook and places where good audio can be found (see below platforms — and not saying they’re good, but they’ll slum along greatness).
If You Enjoy The Hump! Podcast? Spread The Love
Thanks for checking the guys out! If you enjoy The Hump! Podcast … go out to the …